The bulk of the Trust's spending is used to finance PhD Students for the period of their project. Because of the ever-rising cost of financing a PhD study - which from 2007 covers a 4-year period - one new Student is now taken on every other year. This means that, at any given time, a total of two Scholars is being funded by the Trust.
The objective of the Trustees is to act as a catalyst in providing good young poultry scientists for the future. Applications are judged on the basis of:
- good science
- an appreciation of current egg production issues
- In June of each alternative year a letter is sent out to appropriate members of staff at Poultry Research Institutions/Universities, inviting them to submit details of egg-related Projects for which they would like to engage a PhD student.
- Projects are selected by the Trustees at their October meeting.
- Supervisors of the successful projects then advertise for and select a student (who should be a British national) to work on the project and ultimately achieve a PhD qualification.
Please note that potential students should on no account make direct application to the BEMB Trust themselves.
The period during which the student is supported will be four years, commencing on 01 October in the year of selection.
The funding offered by the Trust is in line with BBSRC guidelines:
- student stipend (in 2011-12 : £13,590, paid directly to the student).
- education fees if applicable
- an additional sum of up to £1,000 to cover such items as special training course, attendance at relevant scientific meetings, or computing/other equipment
- £250 when viva has been passed, bound copy of thesis received, and a synopsis of the thesis in lay language received by the Trust
An initial "Letter of Appointment" is sent by the Secretary of the BEMB Trust to each new student setting out:
- detail of payments
- the paperwork required from the student
- that an annual visit to monitor progress will be made
- that a visit to a commercial egg production unit is required
- to try and establish personal rapport
The BEMB Trustees will be sponsoring another Subject/Supervisor/
Student in 2014. Applications from potential supervisors have to be received before 30th September 2013. Download an Application Form